Pangani is a small town in East Africa’s coast that was 50 kms South of Tanga with long history culture the town has Arabic, German, Asian and British Colonial rules influence. This is a place where Swahili, Arab, colonial traditions and modern hospitality blends together.
Once a centre of Swahili trade with the African mainland; the town of Pangani is now a sleepy backwater with little memories of days of splendor. The old German administrative boma still stands behind a colonnade of tall shade trees and the former prison, painted a fading ochre red, looks over the river’s lazy waters. Old houses along the main road offer lived-in examples of colonial and traditional Swahili architecture, the buildings slowly crumbling against the monsoon winds. Visitors passing through the area would do well to explore what remains of the old town on foot. Even a short walk rewards visitors with a glimpse of quiet life in the old trading towns along the Swahili Coast.
The beaches near Pangani are beautiful with long clean stretches of sand offering none of the hassle which can be expected in Zanzibar, and the area is a good start or end point to any safari.
Currently Pangani has not attracted the mass tourism hordes so is a great place to find peace and solitude on deserted Indian Ocean palm fringed beaches.
Activities in and around Pangani include:
- Historical town tour:- Explore Historic buildings of Pangani town, slave market, old port and slave routes
- Village tours:- A welcome to Coast people’s home and stay with a family getting an insight of the Swahili culture. Participate in various activities with the family members
- Cycling Tours:- Cycling tours around the town to the German fort, then proceed to Mwera, sisal plantations Kikokwe the first place where sisal was introduced to Eastern Africa by Dr. Richard Hindrof and adjacent villages. Other cycling tours can take you to Mkoma to see the Pemba channel, Mwanaunguja corals and bombarded German war ship to the beaches of Ushongo
- Snorkeling:- Dhow trips can be arranged from hotels to visit offshore coral reefs. Some of the reefs have been recently placed under protection so it is possible to see many species of colorful fish and live corals. Snorkeling equipment is available.
- Sandbars:- All-day visits are available from lodges to various offshore sandbars. Organize a picnic lunch through your hotel or bring your own. The sandbars offer beautiful views of the coast and are often surrounded by reefs which are great for snorkeling. It is possible to combine snorkeling and sandbar trips.
- Fishing With Local Fishermen:- Evening tour within and around Pangani town. Get an insight of local entertainments available in the area
- Farm tour:- visit local’s farms with coconut, various types of fruits and enjoy fresh fruits and coconut juice while rolling on criss-crossing the dominating coconut trees
Safari To Saadani National Park: An opportunity to travel or have a safari to Saadani National Park, Where by there will be crossing Pangani river with a ferry (75 km / 3 hours’ drive). then another 35 km to Saadani village.
Saadani National Park: dubbed Where bush meets beach is a a unique shoreline wilderness combining marine, savanna, forest and riverine environments together with the historic village of Saadani. 70km north of Bagamoyo.
A wide range of guest houses, hotels and lodges are available along the Indian Ocean beach and around the town of Pangani. Camping grounds are available in various places depending on nature of your tour around Pangani and neighbouring places. Tourist information office or tour guides can make arrangements for homestays and overnights in local guest houses, hotels and lodges when making hikes of several days within and around Pangani area